There is now less than two weeks until the local elections on Thursday 6th May when residents will be able to choose their Elmbridge Borough Councillor, Surrey County Councillor, as well as the next Surrey Police and Crime Commissioner. You can find out about all your Elmbridge Borough candidates here.
The stakes are high. Despite extra support and money from the Government during the pandemic, the group of Liberal Democrats and various Resident Associations that run Elmbridge have got the council into a financial mess, putting our local services at risk. We therefore need to elect new Conservative councillors to get a recovery plan in place and pass a new ‘Local Plan’ that protects our green belt.
Conservative candidates have been hand delivering leaflets across Elmbridge, but we haven’t been able to knock on doors and meet as many residents as normal because of the pandemic. Residents should know what they’re voting for, so we have set out a clear plan for everyone to see:
- Protect the Green Belt - we will safeguard our borough's precious green spaces, oppose overdevelopment in our town centres, and focus affordable housing on brownfield and land already in use.
- Bringing our community together - we will repair Elmbridge Council's broken finances through a recovery plan that protects local and community services we all value.
- A greener, cleaner Elmbridge - we'll roll-out electric buses, efficient LED streetlights, and plant 1.2 million more trees across Surrey, as well as clamping down on litter and fly-tipping.
- Improve roads, footpaths, and infrastructure - we will invest £264 million to repair local roads and tackling potholes.
- Support thriving local high streets - as we build back from the pandemic, we'll support business improvement districts to help local and independent businesses especially. To make sure young people have more opportunities, we’ll back and encourage more apprenticeships.
- More visible police - working with Lisa Townsend, the Conservative candidate for Surrey Police and Crime Commissioner, Conservatives will recruit more police officers to keep people safe, and take a zero-tolerance attitude to all crime, including antisocial behaviour, speeding, vandalism, or domestic burglary.
You can get in touch for more information, to find out who your local candidate it, and ask questions here: email@example.com