Geoff is the Chairman of Claygate Parish Council and Conservative candidate for Hinchley Wood and Weston Green at the Elmbridge Borough Council elections on 2 May.
He served as a borough councillor and is a long-standing member of the Parish Council. He has worked closely with our county councillor Mike Bennison to get local roads fixed. He has responded to a wide range of issues raised by residents, including housing, hedges, trees, parking and planning.
Geoff takes a keen interest in controlling development, parking and antisocial behaviour. He is strongly opposed to local over - development, and to the ever-present threat to the Green Belt.
Geoff’s experience on the parish and borough council has taught him that the threats to the local area come in many and various ways. The latest threat is to our Green Belt. The Residents Associations and Liberal Democrat Administration who have taken over control of Elmbridge Borough Council put forward an ill thought out plan for development on three big Green Belt sites. These were rejected thanks to strong local resistance. They have still to come up with a revised plan. The threat is by no means over.
Geoff is a strong supporter of local businesses. He also works closely with the many voluntary and community groups and organisations which contribute so much to the local community.
Geoff's work in Claygate
Geoff has lived in Claygate all of his life and attended Claygate Primary and Waynefleet schools. He has always worked in the area and is currently Technical Manager at Calmet Laboratory Services at Hampton Wick. He has been a Claygate Parish Councillor since 2003 and is a former chairman and former vice-chairman of the planning committee. Geoff was an Elmbridge Borough Councillor from 2011 to 2015 and served on a number of committees, including East Area Planning, Overview & Scutiny and Audit & Standards.
Geoff is strongly opposed to excessive development in Claygate, which would alter its character as a village, and spearheaded the production of the Village Design Statement. He works closely with the police to minimize crime in Claygate, through ongoing day-to-day contact with the police as the Parish Council police liaison.
6 point plan:
- Resist excessive and inappropriate local development and encroachment on our Green Belt, which is always under threat.
- Keep Borough Council tax down while protecting local services.
- Continue to support our police to fight crime and anti-social behaviour.
- Seek to protect and improve the quality of services provided to Hinchley Wood and Weston Green.
- Champion local schools. At a time when many young families are moving into the ward, funding for our council is being cut and there is a shortage of school places.
- Help keep Elmbridge Borough Council in safe hands We need to keep out the previous Residents’ political parties and Liberal Democrat Administration, which failed to protect the interests of Hinchley Wood and Weston Green.
You can contact Geoff on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07954 648 831